|Start||Destination||Route||M in altitude (ascent, without lift)|
|Stage 1||Katschberg||Neue Bonner Hütte||8 km||591 m|
|Stage 2||Neue Bonner Hütte||Innerkrems||16,6 km||824 m|
|Stage 3||Innerkrems||Turracher Höhe||21,3 km||1056 m|
|Stage 4||Turracher Höhe||Falkertsee||18,1 km||1189 m|
|Stage 5||Falkertsee||Bad Kleinkirchheim||11,1 km||441 m|
- Prior to each tour, the physical fitness and previous mountaineering experience of all participants – adults and children – must be assessed. Trekking & mountaineering often require surefootedness and a head for heights.
- Each mountain tour should be planned and executed using official tour descriptions and hiking maps. Information from alpine clubs and local experts, such as mountain guides and hut owners, can be especially helpful in this regard.
- Appropriate equipment and clothing are essential in the mountains. When mountaineering you need solid hiking shoes with non-slip soles. Since the weather in the mountains can be quite changeable, all-weather clothing is advised upon. The pace of the walk must be adjusted to the weakest member of the group. It is especially important at the beginning of the tour to go slowly and be sure to observe other participants, so that exhaustion may be detected in time.
- Do not leave the marked hiking paths. To avoid falls, pay close attention to where you walk, even in light terrains. Be careful when walking on steep grassy slopes, especially when wet. It is especially dangerous to cross steep snowfields and glaciers.
- It is essential to avoid the loss of stones along the route, as this could hurt other hikers. In areas prone to rockfall, pass individually as quickly as possible and without stopping.
- Hikers wishing to be accompanied by their dog is a sensitive topic of late. In some instances (e.g. cows with newborn calves), cattle may be particularly aggressive towards dogs, especially those on a leash. It is essential to stay calm in these instances, be careful and trust your instinct, also take note of possible warning signs. Untrained dogs are to kept on a leash at all times!
- If the weather changes along the way, mist falls, the road becomes too difficult or is in bad shape, you should turn back immediately. There is no shame in it, it is always the best thing to do.
- If an accident should occur, keep calm. In some cases you will be able to help yourself. If not, try to get help by calling someone, yelling, flashing a light or waving large clothes to attract attention. If possible, anyone who is injured should not be left alone.
- The mountains are a place for everyone, and it is the duty of every climber and hiker to help with their preservation and cleanliness. Please take all waste back with you into the valley and leave the flora and fauna of the mountains untouched.
- Important telephone numbers: Alpine Emergency Call 140, International Emergency Call 112
How challenging is the Nockberge-Trail hiking route?
Easy to medium. Technically speaking, the Nockberge-Trail hike is not that difficult. There are no rope secured or exposed sections that require a complete head for heights. Even if you often hike at altitudes of up to 2350m and have conquered many peaks, there are no technical difficulties. A certain amount of surefootedness – being able to move safely and quickly in the terrain – is required.
In what condition should I be in in order to hike the Nockberge-Trail?
In terms of condition, the Nockberge-Trail is moderately demanding, with 2 stages requiring a higher level of fitness. However it is considerably less demanding than the Alpe-Adria-Trail, for example, which consists of constant ups and downs, individual stages with an ascent up to 1200m in altitude and some long descents which need to be mastered. Therefore, an appropriate level of condition and fitness is recommended.
Can I do the tour in the other direction?
Yes of course! However, if you choose to hike in the opposite direction you will have quite a steep vertical climb (1241 Hm) to deal with on the very first day (from Bad Kleinkircheim to Falkert Lake). It should also be noted that it is only possible to book in the direction Katschberg to Bad Kleinkircheim if using the Nockberge-Trail Info or the Booking Centre.
Can I also ride the Nockberge-Trail hiking route by mountain bike?
Unfortunately not! Most of the trails on the Nockberge-Trail are purely footpaths on which mountain biking is prohibited by law.
How can I find suitable accommodation along the Nockberge-Trail hiking route?
There are two possibilities:
- You look for accommodation on the Nockberge-Trail website under the tab „Accommodation“ or
- You can book via the Nockberge-Trail booking centre, which will also take care of the booking process for your desired hiking trip (see also question 9). Attention: In high season (July, August) there may be capacity constraints at some stage destinations!
Can I take my dog on the Nockberge-Trail hiking route?
Fundamentally, yes, however in the Nockberge Biopshere Park dogs should be kept on a leash at all times. It should also be noted that not all accommodation establishments along the Nockberge-Trail accept dogs (inquire in advance)! Furthermore, it is not possible to make a booking through the Nockberge-Trail Info and the Booking Centre if you have a dog.
Is camping allowed along the Nockberge-Trail hiking route?
Unfortunately not! Carinthia does not allow camping outside of an official campsite. Therefore, it is not possible to camp along the entire Nockberge-Trail as there is not a campsite at every stage.
Can I use public transport to reach the starting point of the tour?
The starting point of the Nockberge-Trail, Katschberghöhe, can be easily reached by train and then by the station shuttle via the following IC / EC stations (depending on the direction of arrival): Spittal / Millstätter See; Bischofshofen and Unzmarkt. The station shuttle can be booked through the Nockberge-Trail Info and Booking Center.
What advantages do I have when booking through the Nockberge-Trail Booking Centre?
You can start your walking tour on any day you wish and on any stage you wish for any duration you wish. The service includes a complete package with the best price guaranteed: accommodation in three categories, shuttle service, luggage transport, tour information, trail hotline and optional extra services such as adding a tour guide, travel insurance and special additional offers.
However, the Nockberge-Trail Booking Centre does not offer any individual services, such as booking an overnight stay, only luggage transport and shuttle services can be booked individually.
We thank you for understanding!